Many parents have reported that their infant baby cries a lot while pooping. Parents especially first time parents should understand that process of pooping is as new for their baby as the whole world around him.
If your baby cries a lot every time he poops, this could be just his way of expressing his reaction to this new experience (pooping).
We are not saying that it’s normal to scream in pain while pooping; so it is our responsibility to understand the reason why our infant crying while pooping. We are trying to share some possible reasons of it.
Body of an infant baby is in the process of development (gaining strength day by day). Infant babies cannot sit and push his stool because their bones are not strong enough yet. Infant has to poop while lying down and it is really difficult to poop while lying down as it require to put more pressure to poop that usually a cause why infant cries while having bowel movement.
Constipation in Babies
Constipation in infants is a very common cause of their cry while pooping. If your baby is passing solid, dry and pebbly stool and he/she didn’t have any bowel movement from last 4-5 days (usually for breastfed baby it is one week and for bottle-fed baby it is 3 days), he/she may have constipation.
Constipation makes it difficult for the infant babies to pass stool that’s why they scream with pain while pooping.
Usually constipation in infants occurs either lack of enough intake of fluids or if you have changed his/her formula recently.
Home Remedies for Infant Constipation
- Breastfeed as much as you can.
- If baby is older than 6 months then only give anything else to eat.
- Increase intake of water.
- Sugar helps to soften the stools so add some sugar in his/her formula.
- You can give them fresh fruit juice.
- If your baby has started having solid food, you can add some fiber rich foods in his/her diet e.g. Spinach, Peaches, Peas, Plums and Pears.
If you feel that above home remedies is not working and your baby still crying a lot while pooping due to constipation, you should consult with your doctor for further guidance.
Gas Pain can also be an issue
Another possible reason for baby’s cries while pooping could be gas pain. Usually Gas pain increases when babies poop.
Possible cause of Gas in Infants
- In-Digestion (Your baby is not able to digest some food elements that he/she is receiving through breast milk).
- Frequent change in formula milk
How to help your baby to release Gas
- Don’t forget to burp your baby after every feed
- Massaging baby’s tummy to release the extra air trapped in stomach.
- Few drops of sugary water also help to relieve gas in babies.
I hope above information and home remedies will help you to calm your baby while pooping. If you still feel that there is no improvement in the situation then consult with your doctor immediately.